So, the birth :) First of all, the doctors wanted me to wait another week but that was NOT going to happen. Wait...rewind. The pregnancy went well, we had a TON of tests and ultrasounds done to see if he had any disorders like Grace did and all the tests and screenings were negative, and so we were expecting a healthy baby. I was nervous because I know how to bring up a child with special needs...but I don't know how to bring up a typical child. And even as I write this, more than a month since he was born, I still worry that I'm not going to know what to do. Speed up to a few weeks before delivery. We had gone to the cabin for a family get together and I was really swollen from my knees down. Like...cankles swollen. Actually, for the most part, I puffed up everywhere but it was REALLY obvious with my lack of ankles. My hands swelled so much I couldn't wear my wedding ring anymore, which I subsequently left in the cabin! And there were Braxton Hick's nearing the end of the pregnancy, but for the most part, everything was fine. I was at 2 cm dilated and 75% effaced for what felt like an eternity.
Due date, December 9th. I did NOT want to give birth on this day! It's Andrea's birthday, and I have a thing about sharing birthdays with other people. So when I went in to meet with the doctor and he said he wanted to wait another week, I put my foot down. Ok, really, I cried. I was so stressed out, uncomfortable, I couldn't sit on the floor and play with Grace, I hadn't dilated anymore than what I was at, and I wasn't getting any good sleep. Well, by the grace of God, the doctor got me into the hospital to be induced at 8 pm that night! They started me on pills that softened my cervix and I took those throughout the night. At 9 am the next day, December 10th, the doctor came in and broke my water and I was already on Pitocin. WOW did that get things going. I tried to go without an epidural but once I got to 4 cm and could barely get a breath between the contractions, it was time to beg for an epidural. He came in around he 12 o'clock time, got the needle in me, laid me down and by the time he was leaving the room 45 minutes later, I was feeling IMMENSE pressure...down there. I thought it was gas and after telling Brad I felt the pressure, I took it back and said exactly that. "It's probably just gas." He went out and got the nurse and BAM! She barely got in to check me and he was RIGHT THERE!! So hear comes everyone into the room...ok, there weren't that many. One nurse helping hold my legs back, one ready to clean Levi, and then the doctor. Much nicer than it was with Grace...one nurse delivering and about 7-8 students and other nurses. Bleh. And then tons more when Grace had breathing issues. But anyways! By 1:18 pm, about 4 sets of pushing later, he was out! The cord was wrapped around his neck and so Daddy didn't get to cut the cord, but that wasn't too big of a deal. You were healthy and well, weighing in at 7 pounds 11 ounces and 20 inches long. We stayed in the hospital that night and another night and then were able to head home! We got our celebratory dinner...hurray! And you were such a quiet baby!
Amanda







No comments:
Post a Comment